Wednesday, March 14, 2007



Lilya:


Hello! I'm now in the middle of reading of the first part. Well, I would say it is really interesting and thrilling novel. And what's more important, it sets thinking. I can't say a lot about Randle Patrick McMurphy, because it's not clear for me yet, what kind of person he is. But what I have already understood is that he is a rough guy!He was sent to prison (for battary,gambling...) but decided to transfer himself from a prison to a mental hospital, because he thought it would be easier to spend the time and serve out his sentence there. What a clever guy! He appears in the story almost from the begging and all the patients straight away realizze that he is not just another Acute (the patient who can still be cured), or Chronic (who will never be cured) and he will change their regular life.


But I would like to say some words about the narrator - Chief Bromden, or Chief Boom,as he is called by the staff and the other patients. He is the son of the last Chief of one of the Native-American tribes. He pretends deaf and insane. Why, I haven't understood yet. So it is a mysterious person. I hope I'll manage to clue.


It's the foto of Ken Kesey statue in Eugene, Oregon (from Wikipedia.com)

1 comment:

Anna V. Filatova said...

Lilya,
Thank you for the post and the photo. I am glad you find the beginning of the novel to be thrilling. It's a rare reaction and I do share it. I've asked Elya about it and I really want to know your opinion, too.
What is the atmosphere in the ward? How would you characterize it?