Wednesday, March 14, 2007

just some thoughts

Elya: Well, now it's my turn to write something. I must admit that it is really not easy to read this book. In most cases colloquial speech is used, and sometimes it's quite hard to understand it, espessially reading it during my way to university and back without any dictionary at all...) But the more I read, the more hooked on it I become. Actually, I haven't read much, but I've mentioned 2 things, about which the author constantly "speaks". The first is that the whole clinic is viewed as a machine, a mechanism, that is headed by The Big Nurse. "It"(I can't even imagin this monster can be a woman) doesn't pity anyone, but is very zealous in keeping everything in order. "It" plays a role of God in "its" small world, but do human beings have any rights to do this? And what is more, I' m convinced it's not the quality of "the person who is above" to treat others like "the monster" does. Well, it's question to be discussed, but a bit later. The other moment that attracted my attention is hate. The hate that fills the ward. The Chief Bromden always speaks about it("they are in the contact on a high-voltage wave length of hate"). Sounds impressing, doesn't it? But McMurphy is "outa" special. In his words and laugh that so impressed the Chief, by the way, power, freedom and self-confidence can be "heard". I just begin to smile when I read his "hoo boy" or "hey, buddies".

One more thing I'd like to add is a link http://www.key-z.com/KenKeseyPics7.htm

Some fotos of Kessy. I think he was rather cheerful)

1 comment:

Anna V. Filatova said...

Elya, thank you so much for such a thoughtful post. Frankly speaking, I was expecting a different reaction. Most students are appalled by the first 100 pages. It's very commendable that you've gone beyond these emotions and have seen the workings of the Combine and what fuels it.

You've mentioned that "hate fills the ward". Do you think that patients feel this hatred, too? What emotions reign supreme in patients? I look forward to discussing this issue here.

Keep reading!